16 September 2012. The anti-corruption bureau (ACB) arrested GK Raval, a class II commercial tax official accepting a bribe of Rs 2,500,000 (US$ 49,000).ACB laid the trap to snare Raval after Bharat Patel, proprietor of Techno Industries Ltd, approached ACB four days ago. Raval had slapped a notice on Patel for Rs 1.66 crore ‘Labour VAT dues’ that had not been paid. He referred to judgments of several courts and summoned Patel with the demand that he pay the pending Labor VAT dues.After much haggling and with the help of a mediator, Patel was told to opt for the middle path and cough up Rs 7,500,000 as bribe. Finally, a deal was clinched for Rs 45 lakh and the first instalment was to be paid on Saturday evening near the Gandhigram railway station.ADGP (ACB), Chitranjan Singh, said this was probably the first operation where ACB had nabbed a senior officer with such an amount of bribe money.
January 15, 2012
February 24, 2012
- Brazil: Operation Car Wash collusion between judge and prosecutors
19 June 2019 The Operation Car Wash lead prosecutor, Deltan Dallagnol and judge Sergio Moro have been highly acclaimed in Brazil and internationally as anti-corruption […]
- Israel: Sara Netanyahu, the wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed to plead guilty.
Update Sara Netanyahu pleads guilty as part of corruption case plea deal 17 June 2019 PM’s wife admits to deliberately exploiting mistake of others in […]
- Russia: Anti-corruption journalist Ivan Golunov charged with drug dealing
Update 19 June 2019 In an unprecedented move the Russian government released Ivan Golunov from prison, due to widespread protests. Russian officials do not often […]
- Nigeria: Jersey authorities to return part of $267 seized from family of General Sani Abacha.
6 June 2019 Authorities in the island of Jersey, a self-governing entity under the patronage of the UK, have seized more than $250 million dollars […]
- Austria: The government loses no-confidence motion.
28 May 2019 Austria’s Chancellor Sebastian Kurz on Monday lost a no-confidence vote in Parliament, removing him and his Cabinet from office over a corruption […]
- Romania: De facto head of the country sentenced to 3 1/2 years in jail
27 May 2019 Party leader of the ruling Social Democrats, Liviu Dragnea, was sentenced to three and a half years in jail on 27 May […]
- Germany: Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn charged with fraud.
16 April 2019 German prosecutors charged former Volkswagen (VW) CEO Martin Winterkorn (in picture) with fraud on Monday over his role in the carmaker’s manipulation […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]