23 March 2010. Parliament was cancelled today by Speaker Abdulla Shahid, after DRP MP Ahmed Mahlouf reportedly approached MDP MP Alhan Fahmy, tapped him on the shoulder and informed him he was sitting in a DRP seat. As deputy leader of the party, my duty is to defend my party members,” Waheed said. The chamber erupted during a debate on the report submitted by parliamentary finance committee calling for the dismissal of the Auditor General over charges of corruption. “[MDP] disrupts parliament if there is anything not to their pleasure,” said Ahmed Nazim, deputy speaker and chairman of the finance committee. However Nazim said the committee’s four members were unanimous that the Auditor General was guilty and called for his dismissal. MDP MP Ahmed Easa said the party’s concern was not the corruption case against the Auditor General, “but a procedural issue.” “Nazim did not get the approval of the committee,” he said, claiming that key MDP members of the committee received text messages from parliamentary staff informing them that the meeting at which the findings of the sub-committee was discussed had been cancelled. Moreover, said Solih, when the committee later decided to summon the Auditor General and members of the Anti-Corruption Commission, DRP MP Abdullah Abdul Raheem withdrew his motion to recommend a no-confidence vote. Maafanu West MP Abdullah Abdul Raheem, who originally proposed the motion of no-confidence, accused MDP MPs of trying to “sabotage” the sitting and prevent the vote. Presenting the report yesterday, Nazim said a sub-committee was formed to investigate the allegations against the Auditor General in a letter sent by former ACC member Hassan Luthfy. While MDP MP Ibrahim Mohamed Solih proposed summoning the auditor general, DRP MP Abdullah Abdul Raheem proposed a motion that the committee should recommend a vote of no-confidence. Although Naeem himself wrote the offices’ operating manual, said Nazim, the auditor general used both cards for personal use without reimbursing the office 14 months after the expenses. Nazim concluded by proposing the motion approved by the committee to call a vote of no-confidence. In the ensuing debate, MDP MPs said the report was intended to discredit Naeem and the audit reports he issued that alleged rampant corruption under the former government. DRP MP Ahmed Nihan meanwhile observed that Naeem showed up first in Google searches for “corrupt auditor general”.
December 18, 2018
- Malaysia: Election results is a lesson on corruption.
16 May 2018 For the first time in 60 years, Malaysia’s ruling coalition, Barisan Nasional (BN), lost power in a general election. Mahathir who institutionalized […]
- Global: Will blockchain technology help in combating corruption?
12 January 2018 A blockchain, is simply a collection of records, called blocks, like records in a database table, or entries in a ledger. A […]
- Saudi Arabia: Crackdown on corruption or consolidation of power?
Update 27 December 2017 The Saudi prosecutors have released 23 more people from detention in the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Okaz newspaper reported that they had reached […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]
- Is there corruption in pharmaceutical industry?
16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the first nonprofit pharmaceutical company, The Institute for OneWorld Health, in San Francisco, California […]
- Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew’s fight against corruption
31 March 2015 Lee Kuan Yew is no more. He will be remembered by many for many reasons. Today corruption.net is looking at why he […]
Most Shared Posts
- 6 September 2016 Al Jazeera has announced the release of a documentary
- 26 January 2017 Transparency International (TI) has released the Corru
- 10 April 2017 Italian anti-corruption prosecutors have charged Shell,
- 28 January 2018 Since Senate released the lobbying expenditure, pert
- 22 April 2018 In 2016 government sold state-owned land to the educat
- 14 September 2018 Guatemala’s president Jimmy Morales has decided to
- 10 November 2018 A court in the Philippines found Imelda Marcos (pictu
- 4 January 2019 Casey Moreland, 60, a Nashville judge, was sentenced to
- 4 November 2016 Prosecution has named Yeo Jiawei as the master mind be