18 July 2012. The former campaign treasurer Dean Nichols, 62, of ex-Illinois State Senator Rickey Hendon, was charged along with 6 others with corruption following federal stings. They are charged with bribery conspiracy for allegedly paying kickbacks of $5,000 to a purported U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) official, who did not actually exist, in return for awarding $25,000 cash grants from the agency. There was no corrupt HHS official and no HHS grants were involved. “Instead, those elements were involved only as part of the scenario of the undercover investigation” stated a press release from the federal prosecutor’s office. Federal authorities allege that Nichols steered a State of Illinois grant of $50,000 to an organization operated by Nichols’ daughter from 2005 to 2006, and a $190,000 grant in 2007 to an organization operated by Hopkins with the understanding that a portion of the proceeds would go to Nichols and the state senator’s nephew. Several of the defendants appeared in court on Tuesday afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeffrey Cole.
January 3, 2017
January 18, 2012
January 24, 2012
- Malaysia: Election results is a lesson on corruption.
16 May 2018 For the first time in 60 years, Malaysia’s ruling coalition, Barisan Nasional (BN), lost power in a general election. Mahathir who institutionalized […]
- Global: Will blockchain technology help in combating corruption?
12 January 2018 A blockchain, is simply a collection of records, called blocks, like records in a database table, or entries in a ledger. A […]
- Saudi Arabia: Crackdown on corruption or consolidation of power?
Update 27 December 2017 The Saudi prosecutors have released 23 more people from detention in the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Okaz newspaper reported that they had reached […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]
- Is there corruption in pharmaceutical industry?
16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the first nonprofit pharmaceutical company, The Institute for OneWorld Health, in San Francisco, California […]
- Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew’s fight against corruption
31 March 2015 Lee Kuan Yew is no more. He will be remembered by many for many reasons. Today corruption.net is looking at why he […]
Most Shared Posts
- 30 May 2016 Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index
- 12 December 2016 T&T Law founder and managing partner Rohit Tandon
- UPDATE 31 March 2017 The court ruled that former president, Park Geun-
- 4 January 2018 Brazil’s state-controlled oil company Petroleo Brasil
- 15 March 2018 A new law that came into force on Thursday (15 March) pr
- 6 September 2016 Al Jazeera has announced the release of a documentary
- Update 22 February 2017 Romanian parliament decided yesterday to shelv
- 18 April 2017 A U.S. judge on Monday sentenced Brazilian construction
- 2 February 2018 Several former senior executives were arrested by C