11 July 2018 U.S. authorities repatriated on Wednesday a Chinese man who embezzled $485 million from his employer. Xu Chaofan, a former president of a sub-branch of the Bank of China, left for U.S. in 2001. He was arrested in 2003 under the law enforcement agreement between U.S. and China. He was handed a 25-year jail term in the U.S. in 2009 and was serving his sentence there, since then. A sum of $300,000 was recovered from him. Reuters reported. His wife who was an accomplice in the corruption and serving a sentence in the U.S. will also be...Read More
11 July 2018 It is startling to hear Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamed say that if all those suspected of bribery in the civil service were terminated, the government may be crippled. You can imagine the extent of corruption in the Malaysian civil service. This happens when the head is corrupt, he cannot prevent those down the line of his command to be free from corruption. He said that the public service personnel are paid in par or only slightly lower than their counterparts in the private sector. Despite this corruption has become endemic. The head of the...Read More
What is the core of China’s debt-trap diplomacy? 10 July 2018 China chooses projects that do not yield short-term returns that are sufficient for countries to repay their debt. They choose projects that have long-term strategic value to them, ensuring that such projects will not generate profits to repay any part of the project loan in the near term. Corruption is an essential element in the strategy to make the borrower nations to sign on the dotted lines without any regards for the consequences. The projects are grossly overpriced and only Chinese contractors, products and workers can be used...Read More
6 July 2018 Former Malaysian prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has filed lawsuits alleging that top investigators anti-graft chief Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull, police commercial crimes head Datuk Seri Amar Singh and Attorney General Tommy Thomas were prejudiced against him over the course of their investigations. The three civil filings made last week but only made available to Reuters on Wednesday. Low Taek Jho also known as Jho Low, and Eric Tan Kim Loong are still on the Wanted List of the Singapore Police for their roles in 1Malaysia Development Berhad corruption scandal, says a police...Read More
04 July 2018 Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has claimed trial to three charges of criminal breach of trust and another for abuse of power in relation to RM42 million allegedly misappropriated from a former 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) unit. He pleaded not guilty before the High Court here, where the case was transferred earlier from the Sessions Court. Newly appointed Attorney General Tommy Thomas led the prosecution team assisted by 11 deputy public prosecutors. Najib’s sons Mohd Nazifuddin and Norashman as well as his daughter Nooryana Najwa were in the gallery. His wife Rosmah Mansor was...Read More
- Malaysia: Election results is a lesson on corruption.
16 May 2018 For the first time in 60 years, Malaysia’s ruling coalition, Barisan Nasional (BN), lost power in a general election. Mahathir who institutionalized […]
- Global: Will blockchain technology help in combating corruption?
12 January 2018 A blockchain, is simply a collection of records, called blocks, like records in a database table, or entries in a ledger. A […]
- Saudi Arabia: Crackdown on corruption or consolidation of power?
Update 27 December 2017 The Saudi prosecutors have released 23 more people from detention in the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Okaz newspaper reported that they had reached […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]
- Is there corruption in pharmaceutical industry?
16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the first nonprofit pharmaceutical company, The Institute for OneWorld Health, in San Francisco, California […]
- Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew’s fight against corruption
31 March 2015 Lee Kuan Yew is no more. He will be remembered by many for many reasons. Today corruption.net is looking at why he […]
Most Shared Posts
- 13 November 2015 On 30 October 2015, there was a deadly fire in a nigh
- 5 December 2016 Last week Monetary Authority of Singapore fined two br
- Thailand: Considers death penalty for corruption 17 February 2017 Thai
- Update 27 December 2017 The Saudi prosecutors have released 23 more pe
- 1 March 2018 A Japanese foreign ministry statement said that a Maldive
- 3 July 2018 Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak was arrested b
- 11 July 2016 Rajendra Kumar, a 1989-batch Indian Administrative Servic
- 16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the
- 5 April 2017 Professor Bolaji Owosanoye, the Executive Secretary of Ni