10 December 2009, Ibrahim Hussein Zaki, special envoy to the president, has renewed allegations that former president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has US$80 million hidden in foreign bank accounts, including US$40 million in tsunami aid from the Emir of Qatar. The GPC’s leader, Michael Lord-Castle, told Minivan News during an interview in November 2006 “that we have been advised that between US$60-80 million has been transferred from Maldives’ governmental funds directly to various private bank accounts in favour of President Gayoom. “If [the accusation] proves true it will be fairly significant because first of all it was money from the National Treasury, secondly the money was for tsunami victims, and thirdly there would be reason to anticipate more [hidden money],” he said. World Bank enlisted Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed announced in September he was seeking the help of the World Bank’s Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative (StAR) to recover a suspected US$2 billion in embezzled funds, stating that the money was needed to plug a budget deficit of 34 per cent of GDP. Gayoom’s assistant and former chief government spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef (Mundhu) responded to the allegations by demanding Zaki “show us the evidence. “There is no evidence to link Gayoom to corruption,” he insisted. Gayoom could obviously not just take off with donor or tsunami aid.” Mundhu expressed confidence that the World Bank’s investigation “would find nothing untoward. The allegations were intended “to wipe Gayoom off the political map,” Mundhu claimed. “The MDP is a minority government. Nasheed himself as an individual has no more than 25 per cent support in the country.
January 29, 2012
May 3, 2012
India: Bombay High Court is angered by the delay in investigations of Adarsh Society money laundering scam.
February 28, 2012
Most Shared Posts
- 2 March 2015 On Sunday the Sri Lankan government said that it has soug
- 21 November 2016 Ahn Jong-beom and Jung Ho-sung are presidential
- Thailand: Considers death penalty for corruption 17 February 2017 Thai
- 27 October 2015 Trade Minister Milas Mohammed Abdul Kareem’s med
- 6 January 2017 Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) arrested Da
- 5 April 2017 Professor Bolaji Owosanoye, the Executive Secretary of Ni
- 24 November 2014 The Portuguese police have arrested former Socialist
- 14 July 2016 The Delhi Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) on Monday filed a
- 8 February 2017 Xiao Jianhua was a Chinese-born Canadian billionaire b