28 December 2009. Finance Minister Ali Hashim failed to appear before parliament’s internal affairs committee today; after he was called to clarify the manner in which independent institutions in the Maldives are funded. Hashim was asked to appear after institutions including the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), the Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM), the Election Commission (EC) and the Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) complained to parliament that they lacked financial independence and must “beg” for funds from the Finance Ministry. “He left the country,” said independent MP Mohamed Nasheed, the committee’s chair. A question of independence “We don’t get any finance for our programs unless the Finance Ministry approves it. The finance minister had previously suggested a percentage of the institution’s budgets might be made available, “but that still doesn’t solve the issue,” Nasheed argued.
June 22, 2014
July 25, 2012
February 20, 2012
- Global: Will blockchain technology help in combating corruption?
12 January 2018 A blockchain, is simply a collection of records, called blocks, like records in a database table, or entries in a ledger. A […]
- Saudi Arabia: Crackdown on corruption or consolidation of power?
Update 27 December 2017 The Saudi prosecutors have released 23 more people from detention in the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Okaz newspaper reported that they had reached […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]
- Is there corruption in pharmaceutical industry?
16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the first nonprofit pharmaceutical company, The Institute for OneWorld Health, in San Francisco, California […]
- Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew’s fight against corruption
31 March 2015 Lee Kuan Yew is no more. He will be remembered by many for many reasons. Today corruption.net is looking at why he […]
Most Shared Posts
- 17 August 2015 Alleged crime gang of four men, known as “the Irish B
- 10 November 2016 The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) of Maldives, sto
- 14 February 2017 Romania’s parliament on Monday endorsed a president
- 27 September 2017 In the early days people played sport for fun. Later
- 20 February 2018 A Chinese naval force consisting of one modern destro
- 3 March 2016 VimpelCom Ltd., a global telecommunications services prov
- 28 December 2016 Former Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirc
- 21 March 2017 Brazilian police have uncovered a scandal in the meat in
- 7 January 2018 After the fall of Robert Mugabe’s dictatorship, t