28 December 2009. Finance Minister Ali Hashim failed to appear before parliament’s internal affairs committee today; after he was called to clarify the manner in which independent institutions in the Maldives are funded. Hashim was asked to appear after institutions including the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), the Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM), the Election Commission (EC) and the Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) complained to parliament that they lacked financial independence and must “beg” for funds from the Finance Ministry. “He left the country,” said independent MP Mohamed Nasheed, the committee’s chair. A question of independence “We don’t get any finance for our programs unless the Finance Ministry approves it. The finance minister had previously suggested a percentage of the institution’s budgets might be made available, “but that still doesn’t solve the issue,” Nasheed argued.
July 1, 2012
September 1, 2016
April 26, 2012
February 17, 2012
- Saudi Arabia: Crackdown on corruption or consolidation of power?
Update 14 December 2017 In a televised speech yesterday (Wednesday) to the country’s consultative Shura council, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz said that his […]
- Brazil: Ex-Presidents da Silva and Rousseff charged of corruption
7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has just completed his 25-city campaign trip through his party’s strongholds in the northeast. […]
- Is there corruption in pharmaceutical industry?
16 January 2017 The picture above shows Victoria Hale who founded the first nonprofit pharmaceutical company, The Institute for OneWorld Health, in San Francisco, California […]
- Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew’s fight against corruption
31 March 2015 Lee Kuan Yew is no more. He will be remembered by many for many reasons. Today corruption.net is looking at why he […]
Most Shared Posts
- 16 February 2015 Mohammad Reza Rahimi was a top aide to former Preside
- 5 July 2016 Judicial Service Commission is responsible for the appoint
- 26 January 2017 Transparency International (TI) has released the Corru
- 10 April 2017 Italian anti-corruption prosecutors have charged Shell,
- 24 June 2015 Luxury hotels are trying downgrade their ratings by losin
- 6 October 2016 Malaysian anti-corruption officials have arrested two s
- 10 February 2017 Why does so much dirty money flow into the United Kin
- 7 September 2017 Brazil’s former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
- 2 November 2015 One or more of the seven presidential candidates as we